The thin slices of wood or bark, which are mostly thinner than 3mm, are called veneers. Veneers are glued on to panels to produce flat panels such as parquet floors, cabinet panels, doors, tops and different parts of furniture. Whether you are a yacht manufacturer, a furniture manufacturer or a millworker, knowing what kind of veneer and the ways to store them are of paramount importance.
Some important points to be considered while buying wood veneers are:
1. 100% hardwood grade base plywood should be preferred for veneers as it gives strength to furniture.
2. 0.5 mm thick veneers should be preferred since it gives the best finish and durability to furniture.
3. Get the most appropriate glue and backing combination. Must insist on knowing what has been used.
4. Keep the veneer sheets in pair of two. The two front sides should face each other. This is done to avoid scratches on veneer surface.
5. Maintaining room temperature environment in veneer warehouse is of utmost importance. This is to avoid any peeling or cracks in veneer sheets.
6. Decide on acceptable application methodology best suited as per the application. It could be either the conventional and standard hammer veneering or the modern vacuum press veneering.
7. Decide on acceptable application methodology best suited as per the application. It could be either the conventional and standard hammer veneering or the modern vacuum press veneering.
8. Using sharp blade and correct angle of cutting veneer sheet also avoids the problem of chipping.
9. Veneers should always be treated using good quality sealer and topcoats to get the best finish.
10. Rough-cut veneers should not be sanded at the time of finishing.
Other than the tips mentioned above, it is important to not waste the left over pieces of veneer. There are plenty of ways they can be put to good use. The most important point to be considered while buying veneer is the brand you are buying it from. Always choose trusted, transparent and certified manufacturers.
Starwood Veneers is one such company known to have a wide product range and a quality that is unparalleled. They are one of the leading veneer manufacturers and exporters, producing the best range and quality of veneers. They export to over 18 countries and are also a brand to reckon with in the domestic Indian market.